Practice Areas: Communications, IT, marketing, membership services, administration, education
Career Level: Entry, Mid- and senior-level professionals
$225 (member); $300 (non-member)Discounts and Forum Plus
: To learn about discounts, contact Forum Education
Forum Plus Members: If there are five or more Forum Plus member employees attending this course, you are eligible for a 10% discount on each registration. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to take advantage of this discount.
CAE Domain and Credit Hours: 5 - Governance and Structure; 3 hours
Volunteers are indispensable, but they can sometimes be extremely challenging to work with. What are the elements of a successful volunteer/staff relationship, and — more importantly — how do you make that success a reality?
Through a two-part workshop, you’ll first participate in a series of simulations to enhance volunteer and staff effectiveness and, later, have an opportunity to discuss volunteer successes and challenges — and get additional solutions.
Part one will be held February 23, from 9 a.m. to noon. Attendees will participate in activities that will help assess their ability to manage and support volunteers and will result in a volunteer management plan that can be immediately implemented.
Part two, an interactive webinar will be held June 22, 2017, from 1:30-2:30 p.m. to discuss lessons learned, success stories, lingering challenges and potential solutions. Program registrants will receive webinar access instructions nearer to the event date.
After attending this session, you’ll be able to:
- Execute a plan to better manage volunteer relationships;
- Set and confirm volunteer/staff expectations
- Better handle volunteer challenges; and
- Better motivate volunteers.
About the Presenter
Philip Lesser, Ph.D., CAE, vice president, Bostrom Consulting
- Phil guides associations with their governance through strategic planning, leadership development, and organization assessments as part of Bostrom's consulting practice.
- In addition to having been CEO of a number of associations, Phil is a past chairman of the Association Forum of Chicagoland Board of Directors, ASAE’s CAE Commission, and ASAE’s CEO Advisory Board.
- Phil has taught strategic planning at the University of Chicago.