- Take time to understand each department’s tasks and the timeframe. What reports are they preparing, for whom and when?
- Each staff member who is receiving help should list the tasks they get help with.
- Have your AMS expert sit down with each member of staff to review how they provide the help.
Note: The association power-user may feel threated about this exercise, so leaders must reassure the AMS expert that they won’t lose their job. This exercise is about keeping the association from struggling during a long absence.
- The staff and the power user should walk through the exercise, getting screen grabs and writing out directions that each member of staff understands.
- Compile the documented process, including images and step-by-step directions, and save these in a central location where everyone can find them.
- Leaders should assign team member back-ups for each department, who understand how to step in when needed.
- Write into everyone’s KPIs that they will succeed when they have a well-trained partner who can back them up.
If you follow these steps, you will end up with a team that is more agile and scalable. Once the crisis is over you can be ready to grow!
Melinda Starkweather and Joe Plasterer
Starkweather Association Services